I have always had a passion for cooking. One of my challenges to myself this year is to make things from scratch, using healthy, clean, FRESH ingredients for my family. This includes making everything gluten free, and striving for a wheat free household this year. I will seek out the freshest, Local Ingredients when possible. In the spirit of this challenge I have decided to blog along the way, posting my culinary adventures as they happen. I will strive to post all my favorite successes, and perhaps even some of my colossal failures!!!

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Paleo Pancakes

In our Paleo adventures as a family, one of the hardest things I have found its finding breakfasts that break out of the eggs realm. The easiest, and probably healthiest choice for our children for breakfast is eggs. Scrambled eggs, poached eggs, egg muffins, eggs with sausage, eggs with bacon, eggs with sweet potato hash... Well my son Jackson, he could have eggs and bacon every single day and he would never complain.
Caroline on the other hand. Well lets just say she gets tired of eggs, eggs, and well more eggs.
I am not strictly straight Paleo, more the PANU variety so we do eat dairy. Whole milk yogurt and berries gets thrown in to our breakfast mix sometimes. However, I still was in search of more variety....

So I decided I need to give gluten free baking a try. I have to say I was very wary... I previously LOVED baking bread. HUGE FAN. Will these other flours stand up at all, or will it just all FLOP???

My first ever recipe I tried was for Paleo pancakes, a recipe I adapted slightly from one I found browsing sites on the internet. Before I give the recipe I have to say, I am a little leary of almond flour, as almonds are higher is omega-6 and I am really a little worried about this. I want to work on the 6:3 ratio and don't want to introduce things high in omega 6 to my family's diet very often. That being said... WE NEED SOME BREAKFAST VARIETY SOMETIMES PEOPLE!!!!!!---- so.....
without further ado..
Paleo Pancakes
 2 eggs
1/8 cup water
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
Blend wet ingredients in blender. Add dry ingredients to blender and pulse until well blended. Let rest in fridg 20 min up to overnight. Make on Griddle using coconut oil or butter, over med-high heat.     ( this is a rather thick batter,- it works!- but if too thick thin out with a little more water)

No comments:

Post a Comment