I have always had a passion for cooking. One of my challenges to myself this year is to make things from scratch, using healthy, clean, FRESH ingredients for my family. This includes making everything gluten free, and striving for a wheat free household this year. I will seek out the freshest, Local Ingredients when possible. In the spirit of this challenge I have decided to blog along the way, posting my culinary adventures as they happen. I will strive to post all my favorite successes, and perhaps even some of my colossal failures!!!

Search This Blog

Friday, February 26, 2010

The BESTEST Sugar Cookies EVER!!!

I promise these are the BEST Sugar Cookies, and the EASIEST that I have ever, ever ,ever made!!!!!
courtesy of Southern Living (with my slight tweak)
(sorry no plain cookie pics, forgot)
1 Cup butter, softened
1/2 tbsp vanilla bean paste
( use good vanilla extract if you don't have the paste, but I PROMISE its worth searching for-- You can order it at specialty grocery stores)
1 cup powdered sugar
2 cups, unbleached all purpose flour
(again unbleached my prefrence, you can used regular flour)
1/4 tsp. salt
--you will also need parchment paper and rolling pin--

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Beat butter and vanilla ( at this point you can use whatever flavoring you like to substitute for the vanilla, for example in the SouthernLiving recipe they used Lemon Zest) with a heavy duty mixer until creamy.
  3. Combine flour and salt,mix well.
  4. Gradually add flour to butter mixture, beating until just blended. Shape dough into a disc.
  5. Gradually add in sugar, beating well. 
  6. Roll dough into 1/8 thickness on a lightly "floured" surface. ( in the case of sugar cookies, use the powdered sugar as if it is flour for the purpose of keeping dough from sticking. ie-use it to dust your dough, your rolling pin, your surface,etc...)
  7.  Cut out whatever shapes with your cookie cutters and place on parchment lined baking sheets approx 1/2inch apart.
  8. Bake for 12-14 min. or until edges are slightly browned. Cool on baking sheets 5 min. then transfer to wire racks to cool completely( about 20 min.)
  9. Decorate as desired!!!! Go crazy- decorate however you wish!!!!

2 comments: