I have always had a passion for cooking. One of my challenges to myself this year is to make things from scratch, using healthy, clean, FRESH ingredients for my family. This includes making everything gluten free, and striving for a wheat free household this year. I will seek out the freshest, Local Ingredients when possible. In the spirit of this challenge I have decided to blog along the way, posting my culinary adventures as they happen. I will strive to post all my favorite successes, and perhaps even some of my colossal failures!!!

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Carottes Rapees AU MEIL ( Grated Carrots with Honey)

 

 

In the quest to find new ways to introduce vegetables to my kids, I found this intriguing, delightful,
French Carrot Salad ( Carottes Rapees AU MEIL )...
Isn't it beautiful????
So, the big question is...
DID THEY EAT IT?
 DID THEY LIKE IT?
Well, to be truthfull....it was a thumbs sideways review from my kiddos..
I guess I should explain. You see my kids have review foods with a thumbs up ( I love it), a thumbs sideways( its ok), or a thumbs down ( I don't like it at all).
I think it was the smoked paprika...a little strong on the flavoring for kiddos??? Maybe next time I will substitute that for something else?
The adults, well we could not get enough!
IT WAS FABULOUS!
It made a lot and we ate it all! No leftovers at all!

I found this recipe in The French Market, More Recipes from a French Kitchen
here it is:
1 1/2 pds carrots
3tbsp clover honey ( i used wildflower honey)
1 tbsp white wine vingar ( i used apple cidar vinegar)
1 tbsp Dark Sesame Oil
2 tsp smoked paprika
sea salt to taste
freshly grated pepper to taste
2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds, a mix of black and white if you can find them

  1. Peel the carrots and grate them into a bowl.
  2. Mix together the honey, vinegar, sesame oil, paprika, salt and pepper.
  3. Add to the carrots and mix well.
  4. Let stand at room temp for and hour to infuse the flavors (i put in the fridg for a few hours)
  5. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and Serve.

1 comment:

  1. As a taster, I can say this is a winner! I loved it and I really DON'T like carrots!

    ReplyDelete